Re: Fertility, Pantheons, Xemala, OOP

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 1997 11:51:10 -0800

I've now formalized Humath's effect on the childbirth table in PenDragon Pass: -3 for initiates, -6 for Swords. Children are normally born on 12+ on a d20, so this should let people know that I think fertility is reduced, but by no means eliminated. (No doubt there are gifts/geases that can eliminate it; I'm led to think of the Brookean "Never be distracted by the opposite gender").

V. S. Greene wrote

> I'm not terribly fond of the addition of a fire god to the Orlanth pantheon
> (Elmal) and what seems to be a wind god to the Yelm pantheon (Shargash, if
> I'm interpreting correctly)

Elmal is no different from Yelmalio, really, and Shargash is only a wind god among many other aspects. We always had Molanni as an air god of the Yelm pantheon; we now have a somewhat different form of her as Entekos.

But how is this so different from Zeus having the sun god Apollo in his pantheon?

Peter Metcalfe wrote

> Confusing Xemala with Chalana would be a mark of grotesque
> ignorance in Safelster and this sort of belief would be a
> mark of how backward the Otkorioni are or even a slander
> to mock them.

Perhaps she's known as Xemala Arroy somewhere in Stygian Ralios?

Loren Miller wrote

> Once AH prints something for RQ it's in print forever

That's what we all thought, but I'm informed that Griffin Island is out of print. Which is sad, because I think it's a very worthy supplement (even if it isn't as good as Griffin Mountain, nor Gloranthan).