Cultural monomyths...

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 97 22:54 MET

Malcolm Serabian about the Monomyth

>I don't know about anyone else's games, but in the game that I run I am the
>only person who knows anything about Glorantha. I'm also the only person who
>cares about Glorantha. My players do not want to "Explore mythic structures
>and wonderful dichotomies"! They want to have a few laughs pretending to be
>adventurous heroes and anti-heroes. They are busy people with hobbies and
>interests outside of Glorantha. They can just about handle reading What the
>Priest Says, and What my Father told me.

Same situation in my group.

>The monomyth makes Glorantha more user friendly. Instead of having to memorize
>5 different gods of the cold sun, 1 makes things just a little bit easier.

Two adds MGF. I had a Yelmalio in a bunch of Orlanthi/Aeolians, and to feed him conflicting truths with the rest of the bunch, and hear them argue this out, improved the game a lot. The players won't ever forget their visit in Sun Dome County, and how their Orlanthi characters were both bored to death and scared to commit some crime (after a few gleeful examples of Sun Dome justice rendered to them by the Yelmalian).

>It is a way to get new players and gm interested in Glorantha. It is IMHO a
>necessity if Glorantha is going to grow and survive in the game marketplace.

Not any more than say player information on enemy vampire clans in that White Wolf game needs to be accurate, or mutually equal. My players accepted that there probably was a truth behind the myths, but one their characters couldn't fathom out, and they themselves didn't need to play them.

>Now I'm sure some people will probably be thinking, if this guy wants to play
>in a simple and easy world let him play D&D. BUT I don't want to play in the
>Forgotten Realms, I want to play in Glorantha. I'd just like to not have to
>have my players get a degree in Gloranthan Mythology in order to play the
>game, and understand the supplements!

Most of the time, the common culture of the characters (and be it "Lunar Empire's foes") will suffice as "absolute truth" within the party. If your players wonder why their opponents have honourable but antithetical motives in trying to off the characters, your players will have won the necessary degree, by experience check. If they don't, but still have a good time, let them.

But please don't confuse the Monomyth with the apparent Truth of your campaign!