humakt and orlanth

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 1997 17:05:53 +1300

Pam Carlson:

>Isn't it just a teensy bit possible that Arkat is only metaphorically
>"the son" of Humakt?

IMO Arkat's Father was Humakt (Humath or what have you) but that was a heriditary title of a warrior priesthood that was founded by *the* Humakt in the darkness. So Arkat was really Humakt's descendant. This was as a result of the Brithini describing his father as a barbarian warrior in Cults of Terror. I think I posted the story last year.

>[The Orlanthi] "... are a courageous people, and cunning. But they are
>completely lacking in justice. They devote all their thoughts to
>defining justice anew for every situation, and to arguing the results
>among themselves. This makes them disorganized and vulnerable. They
>live is a sorrowful state of savagery."

Isn't it true that Orlanth as the God of Murderers hallows the vile act of murder such that when committed, the victim's kin has no recourse to the rule of law but must commit an act of murder themselves in order to achieve vengeance? I have heard that if the murderer does not make known that he is the murderer, he is unable to be blessed by Orlanth whereupon his fellows are free to bring him to justice.

Excuse me. I have an appointment with my dart thrower...