Selecting the "bad guys" for rituals

From: Klyfix_at_aol.com
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 03:59:34 -0500 (EST)

        I was watching a local newscast here in Boston and there was a bit about an annual recreation of the "Boston Massacre", a pre-Revolution event involving British troops killing some protestors. Thought crossed my mind; in Glorantha there's lots of rituals involving recreations of heroic and/or Godtime events and some of those require somebody to take the role of the villains. I recall in _Cults of Prax_ that Biturian the Issaries trader gets drafted to play such a part in the re-enactment of The Three Blows of Yelmalio; a part that could lead to his death. While not all such roles are going to risk death, there may still be a chance of a stigma or something really going wrong in the ritual.

       How do people get chosen for these rituals? Particularly the really distasteful ones where you get stuck playing a hideous chaos horror that gets beaten to death? And, if the ritual involves combat or some other competition, what happens if you in the role of the villain end up _winning_? I have visions of a chaos player winning and ending up getting a chao feature....

V.S. Greene : klyfix_at_aol.com : Boston, near Arkham...