Pantheoning

From: Klyfix_at_aol.com
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 04:01:35 -0500 (EST)

> > I'm not terribly fond of the addition of a fire god to the Orlanth
> pantheon
> > (Elmal) and what seems to be a wind god to the Yelm pantheon (Shargash,
if
> > I'm interpreting correctly)
>
> Elmal is no different from Yelmalio, really, and Shargash is only a wind
> god among many other aspects. We always had Molanni as an air god of the
> Yelm pantheon; we now have a somewhat different form of her as Entekos.
>
> But how is this so different from Zeus having the sun god Apollo in his
> pantheon?

      The Greek pantheon wasn't (should say isn't, as some still worship them) a specific elemental pantheon; there's folk for all the elements. The Orlanth and Yelm pantheons are elemental in nature, and I'd figure that there's little reason for there not to be some overlap (Orlanthi worshipping Yelm pantheon deities and vice versa) rather than have duplication of deities. Not a big deal, really. And one person noted that you can look at Yelmalio and Elmal as different facets of the same entity which is somewhat appealing and (he realises suddenly with a grin) very God Learnerish.

         Besides, my Lhankhor Mhy sage-aspirant got to start a massive riot by judging Elmal rather than the Lunar backed Yelmalio to be the rightful god of one city. :)

V.S. Greene : klyfix_at_aol.com : Boston, near Arkham...