"Death to the living!"

From: Erik Sieurin <BV9521_at_utb.hb.se>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 12:22:54 +0100

Uh, isn't that the warcry of the Undead in Army of Darkness?

A big, big agree to Joergs opinion on Humakti! But erh, of course I disagree in some respects...

> I never really accepted that all Humakti sever their clan or family ties.
Neither do I, though I think it is fairly common. The idea, for me, is that if the Humkati serves non-kin (the stereotype Lone Swordsman) he will share his ties. Then, there will be no blood-feud between his enemies and his kin. No LEGAL that is.

> IMG most Humakti around Dragon Pass follow the god of war, not the god of
> death.

Seconded! I have IMC the notion that this is the case in Sartar and Heortland, and the more wild barbarians on the borders. In Esrolia, however, those few who serve hims serve The God of Death and are morbid maniacs. In the former areas, only the PC's serving Humie are morbid maniacs...

> and kings.

Note that I see Humakt as the God of Honour as well; since most warriors pay respect to him, whether they're 100% worshippers or not, this enables people to have more war. Since Humakti MUST fight other Humakti fair (it is probably good to fight others fair, but IMC they do not have to) this ritualizes combat, enables more ransoming and recovery of dead heroes, etc.

And I think this appeared to greater degree after Sartar "civilized" the region. Btw, IMC the PC's are very proud of being Sartarite citizens, members of the greatest civilization in the world - neither puny barbarians as the Ralians (phew!) and Praxians (spit!) or decadent as the weak Lunars (boo!) or effeminate Esrolians (hiss!). You see, though the tribes were now united under one ruler, they couldn't be kept from fighting each other, but if this posturing Humaktiism was encouraged, the wars wouldn't be as horrible.

> Then there are the infamous Humakti duelists, like Jaxarte's big brother.
> They make a living out of bets on their duelling as well as side
> occupations: bounty-hunting for Clint Eastwood types, sword teachers for
> three-musketeer types, or just bodyguard mercenary duty, as examples. There
> aren't that many of these, but they get much publicity.
Yes. Compare with, uh, "Vampire" players? Only a few dress all in black, wear white make-up, and can quote Sartre backwards, but it is they who people think of... :-)

> IMO maybe 15% of these cannot sire any children for magical reasons, most of
> these probably tied to geasa. The reverse of an Orlanthi-all...
One reason I do not want Humakti to be unable to have children (just like that) is that it is more fun if they CAN but are not SUPPOSED TO. Even more important with Barbeester Gor's gals: It is more funny if they have to stay celibate, since those who break their vows will have children which must be horribly sacrificed to regain any powers.

Same thing with punishment for geasa-breaking Humakti: For me it is more fun if you can meet wild-eyed, doomed geas-breakers who can tell about the horrors of their failure, or even those dark, looming guys who have regained their status (and can tell how they did it...), than if people who speak on a Freezeday just POOF dies from a Sever Spirit. Gain horrible unluck in any battle, maybe - gives a more than fair chance of them being killed.

"The Owl and the Pussycat went to sea, in a beautiful pea-green boat..."
>From "The Owl and the Pussycat" by Edward Lear

Erik Sieurin
bv9521_at_utb.hb.se
Bodagatan 39, 2 tr