Re: Glorantha Digest V4 #251

From: Joseph Troxell <jmt107_at_psu.edu>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 1997 11:53:47 -0500

>Count me as another vote against this "consensus". Humakti are not
>mindless killing machines, slaughtering everything for the sake of
>slaughter.

Humakt is a widespread cult, with many different members. Even ducks worship him! First, remember the old saying that "you have to be a little crazy to join Humakt." I would think that most Humakti are pretty sane and reasonable. I do remember reading somewhere how honor was important to Humakt in the beginning and "honor was to Humakt like air was to the other gods" or something like that.

However, there are occasionally going to be the lunatics in the cult that run around killing everything they can. Killing maching might be a good analogy. I can just picture a Humakti century throwing a lot of magic on the fella, then pushing him down the hill at the opposing army/unit/village. There would have to be some limit though; perhaps these individuals would not kill other Humakti. As someone pointed out, it only takes a few people for the cult to get a reputation of being composed of mindless killers.

I disagree with the talk that Humakti must be sterile. There are several reports of Humakti (and even Humakt himself) being parents. Further, if Humakti are sterile, I agree that it would probably be magical in nature.

I had never thought of a Humakti being at a deathbed to comfort the dying. It is quite an interesting thought, and a practice that I could see being quite popular in some regions.
There could even be Humakti who try to make the transition as painless as possible (and some might interpret this as Sever Spirit!).

Suffice it to say, that I see the cult as a varied tapestry, not a painting of one color. There are a lot of different Humakti, and this is encouraged by the variety in Humakt himself. He is the god of death and war, but also of honor, undead hunters, and truth seekers.

Lastly, I'd like to thank everyone for all the discussion on using two weapons. I am just glad to hear that it is possible to use two broadswords. While it doesn't seem a popular method, it is certainly a style that is possible (and after all, you have to be a little crazy to join Humakt in the first place....).