elemental pantheons

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 1997 11:19:05 +1300

V S Greene:
VG>>> I'm not terribly fond of the addition of a fire god to the Orlanth

>> > pantheon (Elmal) and what seems to be a wind god to the Yelm pantheon
>> > (Shargash, if I'm interpreting correctly)

DD>> But how is this so different from Zeus having the sun god Apollo in
>> his pantheon?

> The Greek pantheon wasn't (should say isn't, as some still worship
>them) a specific elemental pantheon; there's folk for all the elements. The
>Orlanth and Yelm pantheons are elemental in nature, and I'd figure that
>there's little reason for there not to be some overlap (Orlanthi worshipping
>Yelm pantheon deities and vice versa) rather than have duplication of
>deities.

They may acknowlege a different element as supreme but the Yelm and Orlanth Pantheons are *not* elemental in nature. In the Yelm Pantheon as well as Shargash & Entekos (Air), there is also Oslira (Water), Lodril & Oria (Earth). In the Orlanth Pantheon, there is Ernalda (Earth) and Heler (Water). The Pamalt (Earth) Pantheon has Vangono (Fire), Cronisper (Sky), Keraun (Wind) and Nyanka (Water). The Esrolian (Earth) Pantheon honors Argan Argar (Darkness), Magasta (Sea), Orlanth (Storm), Yelmalio (Sun). The Praxian (Earth) Pantheon has Storm Bull (Storm) and Oakfed (Fire). The Dark Trolls worship Zorak Zoran (Fire) and Asrelia (Earth). And lastly the Magastan (Sea) Pantheon has Wachaza (Darkness) and Brastalos (Storm)

If a natural force has a strong benign influence upon a society then it will be worshipped regardless of what 'elements' the society gives preference to.

Erik Sieurin:

Suggested as a rule in his Argrath! game:

>The max points you can point into a Divinely gained Spell depends on
>your link with it's source (god, goddess, big spirit, pool of
>slime...). The numbers are more or less random, but something like:
>>Associated Guy or Doll (Issarite casting Orlanthi magic) POW/10,
>Initiate POW/8, Acolyte/Godi POW/6, Full Priest/Rune Lord POW/4.

Is the strength of the link dependant on the office or is the attainment of an office dependant on the strength of the link?