Re: Fertility and Humakti variations

From: Loren Miller <loren_at_wharton.upenn.edu>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 21:14:02 +0000

"Jane Williams" <janewill_at_mail.nildram.co.uk> writes:

> OK, you've convinced me. Yes, the Digest has caused someone to change
> their mind! (It had to happen some day).

Oh my. I think you made a mistake.

I do not agree with the assumption that Genert's death has any effect on human fertility. Genert wasn't a human ancestor. Genert was an earth ancestor, no more than Ernalda's husband in the Garden of Prax. And if some god's death would have had an effect, then it would be more likely to resemble the effect of the hysterectomy Gbaji performed on trollish reproduction: children of lesser abilities. Maybe before most of the human ancestors died in the lesser and greater darkness all men were like the men and a half? That I would buy for a buck. But everybody being born infertile, and active magic required to become fertile, just changes too many things about Glorantha as we know it. For one thing, the humans are no longer human! That would strike a major blow against MGF.

My preference is for orlanthi-all Humakti to be potent, for several reasons.

1. Arkat is well know to be the son of Humakt.
2. Humakt fathered other children.
3. Soldiers are always planting bastards in peasant women, and it's a
damn good hook to hang a plot on. It helps put a human face on war and warriors.
4. Necessary for a phrase like "turn your sword into a plowshare and plant your seed in my field you big brute" to make sense. Not to mention "sheathe that broadsword in my scabbard mister grimface." 5. Celibacy is a sacrifice, rather than an afterthought.

Cheers,
Loren

Loren Miller <loren_at_wharton.upenn.edu> A priest, a rabbi, a Penn student, and an elephant walk into a bar. The bartender says, "what is this, some kinda joke?"