personal OOP musings

From: Owen Jones <oj_at_maths.anu.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 1997 14:58:24 +1100 (EST)

A personal note on OOP material: a view from the other side

I agree whole heartedly with calls for brief summaries to be included with references to OOP material. If only people would occassionally do the same regards the stuff currently in print. My RuneQuest days began many years ago as an undergrad, before being put on hold by further study, only to be re-awakened last year by an afternoon in Sun County (thanks Bill). Now, with an academic job, I have even less disposable income than the students. As a result, everything I have is *very* OOP. (I must admit to still being in a state of shock after discovering knights in armour clanking around in the West. C'est la guerre.)

More seriously. With RQ in AH hands, could Chaosium not come to an arrangement with David Dunham over the PendragonPass rules, and then spend a happy year or two re-releasing all the old stuff, suitably adapted to the new system? I tend to think simplicity is best when it comes to rules systems, assuming your imagination is up to filling in the gaps, and PendragonPass seems to fit. (I recall a story told about Garry Gygax, that he once said he rolls dice mainly for the noise they make, or words to that effect. That was before ADD of course, let alone ADD mkII.)

In any case, I would like to put in a call for Duck Tower (by Paul Jacquais (sp?) I think). Have been keen to see a copy ever since I first heard about it nearly 10 years ago. Did it ever actually exist? I recall a picture of the cover, featuring a very large impressive statue, presumably as viewed from below by a very small duck (though large for its race I'm sure).

Owen Jones
Centre for Mathematics and its Applications (CMA) School of Mathematical Sciences (SMS)
Australian National University (ANU)
Australian Capital Territory (ACT) 0200
Ph +61 6 249 2897 (office) 249 4552 (direct) Fax +61 6 249 5549