will

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cyllene.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 1997 18:48:48 +0800

Alex Ferguson opined
>My own feeling is that resemblance
>between the restriction on the cultist of a geas, and the much-argued-about
>phenomenon of Loss of (Free) Will from HQing generally is not coincidental.

        IIRC Greg pretty much concurred with that position at the heroquest talk at RQConDU

        My thoughts are pretty much in complete agreement with what Alex says as regards gifts and geases, and I think its a common pattern for heroquesting, though with the more powerful gifts the geases become magical prohibitions instead, a geas of male celibacy becoming impotency. Its also worth noting that 'heroic' level passions and traits are a manifestation of the same thing, IMO - having a zero lustful, or indeed a chaste above 20/100% is very similar.

        A long rambling document about heroquesting and strange new directions RQ magic could go is on my website at http://www.cwr.uwa.edu.au/~cake/magicrules.html, some thoughts on 'Will' in the paragraph headed 'other important otherworld things'. I was originally intending to actually turn some of this into real rules someday, but I think I'll wait and find out more about what the future holds. Lets hope some of this thinking makes it into GTG

        Cheers

                David