One last Humakt point, and then I'll shut up

From: Carlson, Pam <carlsonp_at_wdni.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 1997 12:55:00 -0800

I'm glad that the fertility issue has sparked so much discussion. It's good to see Humakt talked about as more than a vehicle for obtaining Bladesharp 8!

It should be remembered that Orlanth himself is no slouch as a war god. Orlanth does it all - brings justice, fertility, the ability to smite one's foes - or reason with them, if that works better. Humakt is only the most honorable of Orlanth's terrible storm kin. Humakt does not know the true value of kin as Orlanth does, nor did he ever woo Ernalda or care for humans. A clan that needs Humakt as a war god must be desperate indeed.

On the other hand, Humakt could be viewed as a handy god to have because his war spells may be accessible without the whole clan becomming a war clan. In essence, certain individuals would "sacrifice" themselves to have yearly access to these war/death magics, instead of the whole clan having to.

(Perhaps that's why I feel so strongly that Humakti would be less
fertile - because Orlanthi "war clans" experience a loss of fertility.)

And I think that Waha is a bit less fertile than Orlanth, though not as decrepit as Humakt. Don't the Praxians spend a lot of time lamenting the lack of fertility in the Wastes? And according to CoP, Waha initiates have an impaired ability to cast Heal spells. On the other hand, Waha has an important role in the Praxian/Erithan "cycle of life" mythology, as mentioned in the "What my Father Told Me" article about Praxians (Genertela Player's Book.)

Humakti aren't cyclical - after death they just sit in Humakt's hall, fighting for eternity. They never return. Humakt has no ties to any earth goddess. So enough with the "Humakt as the death aspect of life" drivel. Orlanth and Ernalda have the life/death cycle sewn up just fine without Humakt. He's a grisly outsider.

(I may be somewhat biased. Last ToDP session, Humakt himself actually
manifested in the sky above Malani lands in Death Week of Storm Season. There was a terrible storm with black clouds and terrible thunder, but no rain or lightening. Theya Two-Mothers was so terrified she refused to leave the stead all day.)

I would place fertility (among Manirian men's gods) on a continuum - Barntar (& Urox?), Orlanth (& Urox?), Waha, Humakt - with Orlanth being the norm. Thus, devout Barntar/Orlanthi (and possibly Uroxi) would probably get a fertility bonus, while Humakt/Orlanthi would get a negative modifer, as suggested by David Dunham. Straight Orlanthi who did not strongly worship Barntar would get no modifiers.

All in my Glorantha, of course.

Pam

(PS - Neil said that now we only have to mention the Glornatha Con V
every other post, so I'll spare you all this time. But if lots of people register early, we might stop pestering you completely!)

End of Glorantha Digest V4 #256

WWW at http://rider.wharton.upenn.edu/~loren/Rolegame/glorantha.faq.html