Real World references...

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 97 00:47 MET

>Also, some Waffen SS, at the end of the war, could only
>be charged with "Belonging to an Illegal Organization" and so must have
>behaved in a less-than-merciless manner.

Yes. Quite a lot of them were drafted (like the "reunion" of riding clubs with the Waffen-SS) and used as well-equipped ordinary forces to spearhead ordinary advances. Not that this helped after they came into allied (US) POW camps. I lost a grandfather that way (delivered to the USSR, after fighting his way into American occupied territory for several weeks)...

I wasn't talking of "modern warfare" anyway, but referred to the age of the Men-at-Arms. Outright genocide was rare, more often the (femal) populace was enslaved and/or impregnated by hostile troops, or just impregnated by "friendly" troops.

>As much as I like Humakti, myself, let's remember that they are not
>AD&D Lawful Good Cavaliers (as I think Paladins are called there, now).
>At least not all of them.

For what it's worth, I envision the Vashanka ritual of the Twelve-Slaying (Thieves World) as a possible Humakti ritual close to Carmania.