Re: Rune Lords; Heortling; Shargash

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 1997 11:30:09 -0800

James Frusetta wrote of "Runelevels: fear or target?"

    ...it's another hard day on the battlefield, and me and the boyz are giving those Lunar scum another poundin'. Just as I'm givin' the boot to another hoplite, this big guy in a red cloak jumps up, waving a curved sword, holding a huge black iron shield, with an aura about him, and generally exuding Runelevelness.

    I think to myself, it's sure a good thing we Uz can see red, and I tell the trollkin sarge, "Hey! Y'all sling that bastard till he falls over." I help out by tossing in a Disruption myself, and nearly fall over in surprise when I somehow hit my own leg with the spell! Most of the sling stones are bouncin' off without even scratchin' his armor. As the Loonie effortlessly cuts down his opponents, one by one the slingers stop what they're doing and stare stupidly at him, a few of them nibbling on their slings. Just as I think we're all goners, a lucky boulder dropped by the TAF flattens the guy, and we all let out a cheer. We fall silent suddenly as a moonbeam shines on him and he gets back up. The nearest troopers keel over, clutching their stomachs. My keen Uz ears can detect the eldritch sounds of sorcery even through the din of battle, so I give the order to run away before he and his allied spirit finish us all off.

The real problem is that many of us don't really handle tactics well, especially when using unusual spells. And GMs seldom have as much time to plan tactics as the players (they have to run the combat round as well as think), and have fewer heads than their assembled players to do the planning with.

And don't forget, rune levels often have allied spirits, and usually can call on divine intervention. They're far tougher than just a tough individual.

David Hall wrote

> we are only talking about Sartarite and Heortling Humakti here. Holy
> Country Humakti

I sense a terminology problem. I thought "Heortling" referred to all who follow Heort's laws. This would include those in the Holy Country (as the Harandings no longer live there). I think the Aggari are also Heortlings; Orlanthi in Brolia probably aren't. Ralians and Fronelans aren't.

(This is not just pickiness, I had occasion to use "Heortling" recently, and would like to know if I'm using the term in the generally accepted meaning.)

Here's a variant view: Shargash probably represents (and certainly is at least as old as) slash & burn agriculture. (Think about it: he destroys so that new life can spring up. He also has serious fire aspects.) He's not at all infertile.