Humakt

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 1997 14:05:50 +1300

David Hall:

>Holy
>Country Humakti, Lunar Yanafali, and those War god worshippers from more
>civilised areas, are different because their cultural outlook on death is
>different. As a result I reckon they mostly require little if any fertility
>loss. [...] (NB. I see Shargash as an exception to this - he's a primal and
>primitive throwback to Death in its purest form. I reckon his worshipers
>are infertile.)

You're going to have a hard time defending this. Shargash is acknowledged to have two sons Alkor and Eusibus as well as numerous daughters in Trowjang (who certainly are death-obsessed bloodthirsty savages).

[On Humakti Farmers]

>Please think on this. In the clan-based culture of Orlanth and Ernalda what
>is the point if Humakt can farm and breed like Orlanth/Barntar, and
>Orlanth/Barntar can fight and die as well as Humakt? What really *is* the
>point?

You needn't assume magical infertility for a worshipper. Look at the cult of Maran Gor at the similar culture of KeroFin. Their worshippers are fertile. They are OTOH hampered by cult restrictions on not being able to till or farm. If they don't follow these strictures, then the link with Maran is lost. This seems a suitable stricture for a Sartarite Humakti initiate to follow and one that makes more sense than honorable warfare.