Magic, death and fertility

From: Erik Sieurin <BV9521_at_utb.hb.se>
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 1997 16:31:52 +0100

Magic:
Me:
> >The max points you can point into a Divinely gained Spell depends on
> >your link with it's source (god, goddess, big spirit, pool of
> >slime...). The numbers are more or less random, but something like:
> >>Associated Guy or Doll (Issarite casting Orlanthi magic) POW/10,
> >Initiate POW/8, Acolyte/Godi POW/6, Full Priest/Rune Lord POW/4.
Peter Metcalfe:
> Is the strength of the link dependant on the office or is the attainment
> of an office dependant on the strength of the link?
The strength of the link (and these rules are yet very vague, mind you) is dependent on the devotion to your deity (or spirit, or even ideal). Drawing the line at th point where you attain an office is mostly an easy way out. I do think the experience of a ritual initiation, both the first one with the big I and that of priesthood has importance, however.
 Actually, you could say that when someones behaviour is such that he WOULD get such an office, he counts as being of that office. But then I have this curious habit of creating rather strict rules for my game and then bending them like Uri Geller, since I know what is "normality".

P Guccione:
> Are you talking about Rune spells or the cult-equivalent of Spirit
> Magic?

Both. They will both simply be treated as "divinely-gained spells". Simple conversion: Each point of Rune Magic equals 4 pts of this magic. If the spells are too similar to existing Spirit Magic this way, use Spirit Magic as the guideline instead.

> The only remark I have is: why
> POW? What if we used the (Cult) Lore skill the way Intensity is used in
> RQ4 sorcery?

Because that is exactly the way (Cult or Sect) Lore is going to be used for Argrath! wizardry. (Argrath! sorcery, ie totally atheistic wizardry, would use some skill of Natural Philosophy). But then, Cult Lore is needed to gain a position were you can get a better link (ie, a priest or runelord).

I'm somewhat wary of speaking of own pet rule projects, but one more clarification: This is the "low magic", or rather, personal magic, of the system. The "high magic", or rather, communal magic, will be handled somewhat like the big Orlanthi rituals discussed here on the list, just a little more rulesyfied. Pendragon's celtic magic is the main inspiration. Short rules summary:
1. Decide what it is you want to do. Describing the mythical background to the ritual in great detail makes the GM, ie me, inclined to give bonuses, but my players are in no way Glorantha scholars and it would be totally unfair to request anything but the most basic details. "Humakt is the god of war so he can help us gain victory in this battle." is perfectly OK, but if you can relate som exact battle of a Humakt-led force against that enemy ("Humakt served Vadrus attacking Genert's garden, so we will use that to increase our chances against the Praxians" for instance) the GM will be much nicer.
2. Roleplay both planning the ritual ("We'll capture some Praxian scouts and give them a honourable chance of ritual combat as part of it.") and performing it. As ususal, good reasoning and roleplaying makes the GM in a good mood.
3. Now the rules part: spend your MP. Most such rituals will need a whole group to perform, since every point give very little effect. Generally, for anything not affecting a large group/area, having a long duration or a really gross effect, personal magic is far more covenient. If you are in a holy place (best example: a temple), each MP gives more effect, as if it is a holy day, or you are a holy person yourself.
4. More rules: if the GM doesn't think the ideas of your ritual are either humongously good or humongously bad, the leader of the ritual have to roll vs his Religion/Cult Lore skill, modified as the GM pleases for good or bad behaviour. If the GM is absolutely sure the ritual will fail or work, you do not have to roll, really. 5. The GM compares what you wanted to do with how much oomph you pt into it and how well you succeeded, and then considers the effects. I'll tinker together a working model using the Pendragon magic rules as a guidance.
Note that they might not always be readily appearent - much effects will be about "changing the odds". You will generally know how much you have succeeded, however - you gain a feeling of accomplishment.

Fertility before dishonor!:
Michael Raaterova is sensible:
> Genert's magic was
> of the very earth and land itself, so the fertility of living creatures,
> which is the manifestation of Uleria's power, isn't affected much, unless
> these creatures were tied to Genert, the land or Earth in general.
Agree! BTW, I think that rituals are more or less necessary for EVERYTHING in Glorantha, but there must be gross failures from everyone involved to have a great effect. That people who directly worship gods of fertility get more children is fine with me, but not that it is impossible for those who don't to get it. In the same way, if the

BTW, for the Wizards of the West, there are Blessings from saints and spells like Bless to get the same effect, and if they are not present, there are less of a chance for healthy children, but it's not impossible. The idea of mods to any childbirthtable or something like that is fine with me.

Regarding "Genert is dead, so everything is infertile unless magic is used to regain it", have you ever considered this would mean that Genertela ought to look like Prax? I happen to like ADD Dark Sun (insert BIG TM), but it aint Glorantha. Though human crops are bred for giving huge harvests, not to survive on bleak lands, just because a land is wild does not necessarily mean its infertile. Personally, I consider Bless Crops icing on the cake; its the equivalent of using a lot of fertilizer. I consider that spell to need a sacrifice as "material component". I'm sure there are some Evil Variant somewhere which steals the fertility of another land ("the area will never give more this year than was planted, no matter what is done") instead - that happens to be a common RW magic here in Sweden, btw. A grandmother of a gaming friend of mine actually believed in it, and knew a method to do it.

I think there is one relationship between Good Earth and "Bad" or more accurately Frightening Earth which is rarely explored. This is the one where the "Bad" Earth is the wild lands, which must be conquered in some way to be useful for the growth of crops. Think about it, you have to engage in plant genocide to get new fields. In the West, I'm sure this may be an actual _conquest_, with the Wizards casting spells to bind or drive away the local wilderness spirits. Remember that elves are almost chaos monsters in their opinion... In the Midth, people will still be vary, but the methods may be more peaceful. Perhaps you will have special sacrifices when land is cleared, or someone has to marry the Lady of the Wild. (I'll send you the end of my story about her _real soon_, I promise, BTW).

Jon S Green:
> For me Humakt completes a cycle: the fertility gods create, the living
> gods oversee the life, and Humakt and the Death pantheon oversee the
> transition through Death.

IMO Humakt killls; he is everpresent when something dies. However, he doesn't _steal_ the life, he doesn't keep it. Note that hadn't that ungrateful brat stolen Death, no one would ever had died except in fair and glorious combat or from blissful old age.

BTW, that it is said that Humakt doesn't really care what happens to the dead (ie corpses), as long as they are too badly treated and not turned into undead. I think Humakt don't care very much were the dead (their sprits/souls/minds)GO either, as long as they do not come back the same way.

"The Owl and the Pussycat went to sea, in a beautiful pea-green boat..."
>From "The Owl and the Pussycat" by Edward Lear

Erik Sieurin
bv9521_at_utb.hb.se
Bodagatan 39, 2 tr