genert and runes

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 14:44:33 +1300

Jane Williams:

>Genert was the god of the
>whole continent, not just a bit of it: that's why it's called Genertela.

Who knows? This is certainly what the Continent is called now, but whether it was so called throughout the First Age is a matter of some debate IMO. The Second Council did call itself the High Council of the Land of Genertela, but the contemporary Dara Happan sources are ignorant of the term or the god. Hence I believe that myth that Genert was the long dead land god originally came from Prax and adopted by the Second Council who spread it everywhere. IMO Genert was the Earth King of only those regions which are devastated as a result of his death ie the Wastes proper.

>A thought: if the Death rune removes all fertility, can anyone explain
>Tolat to me? Assuming I've got the right name (my Gods box is out on
>loan): that chap who's a god of war and fertility and is worshipped by
>the Amazons?

The last God Learner who went to Trowjang to teach the runes to the Amazons was boiled alive and eaten.

>Didn't someone once say that opposed runes were a tad chaotic?

Opposed Runes are chaotic in the eyes of Lhankor Mhy Sages because the only cults (that they know) of who have them are:

  1. Yelm (Life, Death)
  2. Seven Mothers (Life, Death)
  3. Red Goddess (Life, Chaos) - [Chaos being the Death of the Gods]

Note that they are all worshipped by Lunars. Since the Lunars are chaotic (qv the Crimson Bat), it stands to reason, that cults which have opposed runes are chaotic. People may deny that Yelm is Chaotic but remember which culture was involved in the God Project that brought forth the Deciever?