Humakti and euthanasia

From: Ed Tonry <etonry_at_niu.edu>
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 1997 23:39:31 -0500

Jane Williams comments:

>***Humakt as source of euthanasia:
>I love it! OK, so it's not for every Humakti, but if you want someone
>killed cleanly, who else would you ask to do it? I don't think Sever
>Spirit would be used though, that's overkill. Just a very sharp sword
>and perhaps the human equivalent of Peaceful Cut? Isn't there something
>called Bless Grave around? (like I say, my Gods box is away so I can't
>check this). Something that makes sure they're cleanly dead, not hanging
>around as a ghost or whatever. They're not resisting, so you don't need SS.

Actually, what I first suggested was that Humakti might be the people responsible for _comforting_ the dying. Someone else turned this into helping them die.

Think about it. Here's a farmer about to die of old age or disease, and he's afraid of dying. Who is going to make his last hours easier? A Chalana Arroy initiate? Maybe, if they're common in your Glorantha. But won't the poor farmer insist on being healed - surely the initiate can save him! The Humakti can commiserate with him, agree with him on the unfairness of his not getting access to Resurrection, and tell him agreeable tales of how pleasant the afterlife is.

Yes, this doesn't fit the single-minded, blood-thirsty killer image some people seem to want to use for Humakti. But, as I've said before, can't we have some more complex characters? These are supposed to be people with personalities, not cardboard cutouts. Let's give them a little more range to develop. Remember, Humakt broke his ties with Orlanth because he disliked the indiscriminate use of Death. Maybe one way he can make amends is by helping people face it.

Ed Tonry

End of Glorantha Digest V4 #261

WWW at http://rider.wharton.upenn.edu/~loren/Rolegame/glorantha.faq.html