re: fighting rune lords; cavalry

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 1997 23:58:27 -0800

James Frusetta:

> those pesky missile weapons and magic spells are
> a variable that should be taken into account

Yes -- on BOTH sides.

> Actually, I think that 10 guys fighting a runelevel will do something
> similar -- shower the guy with missile and magical attacks

The problem is that usually it's not 10 guys fighting a rune level. The runelord is usually accompanied by a dozen or so of his own guys, and you have to fight them while the rune lord picks you off. Or, if you ignore them, they wound you and the rune lord finishes you off.

> it takes less morale to hurk a rock at a Storm Kahn
> than it does to walk up and hit him with your sword

True, but you still draw his attention (as I tried to indicate in my parody).

It doesn't help that RuneQuest (and PenDragon Pass) break down at about the Rune Lord level...

> [trolls have] some of the finest cavalry on the planet

Huh? They ride giant bugs, for Genert's sake! And bug riders aren't that common -- according to my copy of Trollpak, the largest Gorakiki subcult (Beetle) doesn't ride (to say nothing of the fact that most trolls don't belong to Gorakiki). And many of the flying riders are Trollkin.

I don't know whether the best cavalry are Grazer, Carmanian, or Praxian, but it's surely not a few trollkin on bugs. Heck, it could even be the Bat Cult.

Jeff Richard spoke of his campaign; my latest writeup is at <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha/todp/korol11.html>.

Further evidence for Shargash as the god of Slash & Burn Agriculture: he (or at least the same planet) is worshipped in Trowjang, which has at best slash & burn cultivation.