Humakt - Deep or shallow?

From: Jim Bickmeyer <JFBickmeyer_at_msn.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 97 03:17:39 UT

Infertile, blood thirsty, single-minded, shallow, killing machine.

Does that accurately describe one version of the Humakt initiate? That is the impression I have gotten. It seems to me to be a description of Onslaught with his new and improved bite attack. -- is it 210% now? :-)

Alive, Honorable, Multi-faceted, Depth, Well Trained.

This is the other version being offered of a Humakti. This is also the version I prefer.

As I recall reading in Cults of Prax, the Humakt is a warrior, often serving as a leader in and of armies. They have always seemed to be somewhat of a loner. A sell-sword that is willing to give an oath to a lord for pay and is valued for the adherence of the oath. Several times Humakt PC's in my games have had to stand against the parties wishes because of Honor.

If you give the Humakt worshippers the Midas Touch of death in their loins then (as has been pointed before) you take away a depth of character, not add to it. You might as well start cloning Humakt initiates, as each one will start to look alike. It is life that makes a character a character. Interacting with other characters, whether they are players or NPCs, develops a character through role playing.

I like the surroundings in my games to be playable. For me, a Death only character is limited and mostly unplayable. These are the types of characters (PC and NPC) that are boring to have in a game. They limit the playability and in the end limit the fun we can have in RPG.

Give me depth and a continually character anytime and I will have an enjoyable evening.

Jim