hewing hoplites

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cyllene.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 13:32:30 +0800

>I still think, though, that
>people are overlooking what we can learn from historical warfare, and the
>way that things are qualitatively as well as quantitatively different in
>full-scale battles.

        Yes, and no. Historical warfare teaches us quite a bit about how Gloranthan mass warfare works in the main (presuming mostly humans soldiers on each side, not giant tarantulas or the Crater Makers etc.). But the toughest Gloranthans are readily able to use tactics that simply wouldn't work in the real world.

        As an example, I had my players attack a Hoplite unit, using primarily the tactics and magic of the Granite Phalanx cult (except the bits I don't like, of course). My Sword PC chewed through the first three ranks with no problems at all because
a) he was able to take most of their hits without much danger, having heavy armour, Shield, Protection
b) they were relying on their armour to take the damage, and while the 9 points of armour in their head and limbs (inc. Protection) would have been more than adequate against normal foes, a truesworded greatsword with Bladesharp 4 etc. went straight through and incapacitated them despite their armour.

        Now, anyone in our world attempting to charge a phalanx would almost certainly fare a lot worse. And thats not even thinking about things like elementals, flight, thunderbolts, that grant tactical abilities not even approximated by historical ancient warfare.

        David