Re: Humakti; Aram-ya-Udram; oaths; chaos; MIG

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 23:58:05 -0800

Last night, my character Korol compared himself to one of his foes, Erland Malansson, probably the foremost Humakti of the Malani tribe. Korol admitted that Erland was a better warrior -- but Korol has five children. Korol will live after death, Erland won't. This is far more practical than being able to be resurrected -- who has access to such a spell anyway?

Surely this is part of the Humakti "you only live once" bit. Whether or not they're completely infertile (which I think most aren't).

Joerg asked

> Do you think
> that the cult of the Bloody Tusk was much less blood-thirsty when
> Aram-ya-Udram founded it? I don't. It was an acceptable, though bloody
> expression of death, yet death within the cycles of life.

I do. Elder Races implies that the Temple of the Ivory Plinth helped appease boars and keep them tame. Then something changed.

(Aram-ya-Udram is supposed to be around in the First Council, and dies before the Broken Council. Did he really help found the EWF?)

> What is wrong with Humakti breeding war horses, or war hounds?

Greg Stafford recently told me that the Dragon Pass Orlanthi simply don't use dogs. It's really true that they're cat people. Either alynxes fill the same niche as dogs in other cultures, or no animal is used. Greg was even leaning towards having all Orlanthi everywhere do this, but didn't seem inclined to argue with my objection to that.

Philip Hibbs wondered of oath-breaking

> I wonder how this would affect someone who has achieved immortality through
> the Hill of Gold HQ.

I don't know the details of the Hill of Gold HQ (my character didn't survive), but I assume immortality means you don't die by old age or normal disease. You can certainly be killed by having your head chopped off, or by breaking a geas, or forswearing an oath.

Peter Metcalfe wrote

> People may deny that Yelm is Chaotic
> but remember which culture was involved in the God Project that
> brought forth the Deciever?

Almost all of them, except the trolls. What's your point? :-)

Rick Meints may be shameless in plugging the Meints Index to Glorantha, but the quality of the product surely entitles his recommendation to some weight. Anyone who could compile such a work, I'd listen to.