Wachaza, Tribes and Humakt

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 22:41:26 +1300

Hasni Mubarak:

>Which out of print/hard to get a hold of source has a listing of Tribes
>and Clans? To be honest, I=A0don't think I've ever seen one, except
>maybe "What my father told me" mentions ONE of the clans in Sartar. Does
>anybody have a listing of Tribes and Clans of Dragon Pass/The Holy
>Country?

Questlines (avaliable through Wizards Attic) has a list of the tribes (and populations thereof) of Sartar for two different censuses. There is no list of official clans for Sartar other than the Colymar in KoS (and even *that* is less than perfect). "Heroes of Wisdom" (also available through Wizards Attic) has detailed (but unofficial) information on the Jonston Tribes and Questlines has even more info on the farpoint tribes.

There is no complete listing of the tribes of Tarsh nor the Holy Country AFAIK. The nearest is the RQ Companian (OOP) which gives a detailed overview of the Holy Country. Tarsh War may have some info on Tarsh but I have not seen it yet...

>Has anybody ever thought about Wachaza subcults? Or would they all be
>things like "Fingar Strongtail" (i.e. Merman specific) For the life of
>me, I can't think of anything really exciting to do with Wachaza. I've
>got a PC in it, and pretty much all he's concerned with right now is the
>fact that he has a 20% net attack. (Oh, and what was that Chaos cult
>that gets TRUE NET) Anyhow, I got the impression that Wachaza was
>fairly popular among sailors and stuff, but haven't actually READ much
>about him.

Wachaza is originally a spirit of the sea and probable patron of the Gnydron (Harmast encounters him in that capacity). He was contacted by the God Learners who used him to overthrow the Magastan worshipping Waertagi. His cult was then the main War Cult of the God Learners and was pretty nasty to be on the recieving end (think fearsome marines who eat sharks for breakfast) and many would rather welcome Wolf Pirates. The Waertagi had to turn to worshipping an even more horrific war cult - - Drospoly - before they could make a successful comeback.

After the God Learners fell, his worship became despised by humans everywhere and only the merfolk worship him in large numbers (having picked up the remants of the God Learner Cult from waertagi plunder). There are some human temples but they are small and furtive IMO and probably pirate shrines. The largest human temple may be the land of Smelch which enjoyed a phenomenal success as a major naval power late last century. Methinks getting the entire array of Wachaza magic would be more of a problem for your PC than worrying about the type of subcults. Or he could try and be friendly to a merfolk warband...

Oh. And the Chaotic Cult that fancies nets is Krarsht.

Jim Bickmeyer:

>As I recall reading in Cults of Prax, the Humakt is a warrior, often serving
>as a leader in and of armies. They have always seemed to be somewhat of a
>loner. A sell-sword that is willing to give an oath to a lord for pay and is
>valued for the adherence of the oath. Several times Humakt PC's in my games
>have had to stand against the parties wishes because of Honor.

IMO this would be for Prax where the Sartarite Worshippers of Humakt are effectively civilized by foppish dandies of the Holy Country (who are in turn brutalized by the coarsities of the grim sartarites). What was under discussion was how the Dragon Pass Orlanthi, fresh off the farm, views Humakt.