SystemQuest

From: Claude Manzato <cmanzat_at_sbs.de>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 14:03:41 +0100

Some time ago I asked about runes. Among the comment generated, I read that not
a small number of people out there think that all gloranthan cultures don't ackn
owledge the same runes, that some use different runes and maybe some don't use t
hem at all.

Then maybe not two culture use magic the same way, or worship the same god in a
similar way.

I was wondering; maybe there are as many way to heroquest than there are culture
s? Not only in term of their mythological view of the hero plane, but peharps be
cause of what they think they can achieve there, why they do it, or because some
 go to godtime, others to dreamworld, others to heroworld, maybe even to some ot
herworld?

So I was thinking:... Could a game system cover all these diverse ways? I mean,
regardeless of what you think of disease (be it a shamanic, theist, scientific,
or other worldwiew), you can or could use the disease rules. But can the same sy
stem cover hunschen, sartarite, lunar, kralorelan, pamaltean and hrestoli heroqu
est? Is it desirable?

Or put it another way: how do you design a game system to handle subjective wo
rldwiew? I wonder how the people at Chaosium think they will cope with Greg de
cide-for-yourself philosphy....