Re: Darkwall

From: Paolo Guccione <teigupa_at_tss.tei.ericsson.se>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 10:29:51 +0100

Peter Maranci:

> One PC cast a Darkwall, placed exactly
> between the combatants. The guards charged the Darkwall, trying to jump
> through. But the PC moved the Darkwall to always cover their eyes, so that
> they were never able to see the PCs. The guards charged anyway, trying to
> smash into the PCs with limited success.

I agree with you that this sort of micromanipulation is hard to believe, but it can be done. The key here is the fact that you had the guards smash into the PCs - a bad idea in this case. If you rush into an unseen opponent, you are subject to an opportunity attack that you cannot parry, and you are also helpless, IMO. This means you are surely hit and probably even criticalled, nullifying any advantage given by armor.

But what if the guards had not charged? The PCs can move the wall, but only at 1 m/SR, while the average speed of a fleeing PC is 3 to 6 m/SR plus spells. This means the party must retreat very slowly if they want to keep a darkwall between them and the opposition, so they cannot flee, and if they engage the guards themselves it is they who suffer the ill effects of the darkwall. My suggestion is: once the situation is stalled if the PCs do not take any action and wait for their foes to charge, have one of the guards go and fetch the BIG magician and see if they can stop _him_ with a Darkwall.

			http://www.geco.it/~guccione