Kalikos the Sailor?

From: Andrew Joelson <joelsona_at_cpdmfg.cig.mot.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 11:58:45 -0600

        Nick Brooke provides some interesting suggestions for Kalikos, but I guess I'm having a little trouble with the idea of the expeditions sailing across the White Sea to the Glacier.

        I don't have my maps of Glorantha handy, but I always assumed that Kalikos had a permanent fort east of the Sea & way up north. The cult just sits there and blocks part of Valind's/Winter's strength. The point of the cult being to make winter less severe, not make it go away implies no territorial ambitions; just blocking (or a permanent holding action?).

        I had envisioned the forces of Valind (& Himile) approaching the fort, doing all the ritual duels, etc. When the relief column was wiped out, the guys in the fort were so heavily entrenched in the rituals that they _had_ to go out and fight.

        As somebody had tipped Valind to send an extra-heavy force this year (probably Kallyr through her star god friends), the remaining cultists were wiped out easily. Then the force (I agree, mostly snow trolls and hollri), marched south performing Winter rituals all the way.

        I never thought about sailing over the White sea, as I envisioned a horde marching overland. This is easier than having Winter's hordes stopping to make boats before sailing. Also, it makes it easier for the unsupported cultists to get wiped out lock, stock & iceberg....

                Andrew

Drink Kalikos-Kola!