Re: Humakti (couldn't keep my big mouth shut...)

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 97 21:17 MET

Benedict Adamson
>So I assume a typical Humakti is like a typical huskarl/thegn. I think having
>them sterile is a bit extreme. Are Ernaldan women to be perpetually
>pregnant too?

<g> Good point.

>BTW I completely reject the idea of there being mercenary regiments of Humakti
>in Dragon Pass. Far too civilised for Viking-like Orlanthi, IMO. In Heortland,
>perhaps.

Hmm. My reason for such things are drawn from a often neglected real world parallel for the Orlanthi: the ancient Greeks of say 900 BC to 600 BC, i.e. before the outbreak of democracies. They were found all over the classical world as mercenaries, forming regiments where there were enough of them.

And yes, I believe that most mercenary regiments were founded in or for the Holy Country, and are not native Sartarite affairs. However, Sartar proves a good working ground ever now and then, so you'll meet Humakti regiments there. Like when it's werewolf season again in northeastern Old Sartar, or when guys like Harvar impress their neighbours. And lots of dissatisfied Sartarites will join such regiments.

As for the Vikings parallel: how about a few Trellebborg-like Humakti encampments around Dragon Pass? Or even Jomsburg-like?