Re: Glorantha Digest V4 #266

From: Guy Hoyle <ghoyle1_at_mail.airmail.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 15:17:21 +0000

> VS Greene:
>
> > Is there anywhere in Glorantha where the (god) king is considered by the
> people to not be righteous and/or studly? Is
> there a culture that says "Our head god is tyrannical, impotent and a
> total wuss"? :)
>
> I can't think of one off hand, but it is commonly said of opposing
> culture's deities. Frex, Orlanthi speak so of the Evil Emperor, (or
> Yelm in later years). The solars probably think the same of Argan
> Argar, or Oralantus - that's why (they think) the trolls and barbarians
> spend so much effort raiding the Rich Land!

I think that Glorantha must have a place in it which is ruled by a king who is pitied by his folk for having to shoulder the tremendous burden of rulership. They so pity him that they shower him with wealth, priveleges, anything to make his awful, wretched burden the slightest bit less onerous, in exchange for the ultimate sacrifice he has made.

Guy Hoyle (guyhoyle_at_chrysalis.org)
Need help building your next world?
Visit The Gamemaster's Bookshelf
http://www.chrysalis.org/guyhoyle/