Re: Shields & the Vertically challenged

From: Adam Betteridge <Akula_at_surfnet.net.au>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 1997 22:09:30 +1000

Hi All an interesting topic cropped up in our last meeting, that of hopolite shields and dwarfs. The rules say that a hopolite shield covers three contigous locations , does this assume a human using the shield ?

        Our Dwarven Bronzeclad SS Mostal's Minnow, had overhauled a Seshnegi Tallship , (we are Steam Driven after all ) and as we prepared to fire the steam driven ballista at close range a hail of crossbow fire was aimed at us , this is where things started to get sticky. Our GM asked us what our armour was and what locations our shield covered, most of our characters didn't use a shield but mine had liberated a hopolite shield with several matrixes from some Yelmelion dogs, never could understand all that yellow.

        Now a size 8 dwarf wielding a shield for some size 18 humans has got to raise some questions, does it still cover the same amount of locations
? Can a dwarf use such a large shield ? What are dwarves doing at sea
? Why is our Captain a rabid Wachaza Dwarf ? Where did he pick up his
Pirate (Arrgh Jim Lad) accent? Why is Gilligan the first mate so worried?

        If you can help please reply.

P.S. My own Humakti has fathered 5 sons and there is no question of his fertility!

APB, in Oz