Jomsviking Humakti and Awards

From: Erik Sieurin <BV9521_at_utb.hb.se>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 13:33:42 +0100

> >BTW I completely reject the idea of there being mercenary regiments of Humakti
> >in Dragon Pass. Far too civilised for Viking-like Orlanthi, IMO. In Heortland,
> >perhaps.
>
> As for the Vikings parallel: how about a few Trellebborg-like Humakti
> encampments around Dragon Pass? Or even Jomsburg-like?
I thought of the Jomsvikings meself when I saw the above comment, but Joerg beat me to it. Now I cannot show off! Damn! :-)

On a more serious note, if you can really draw any direct parallells at all, the Sartarites are far more "advanced" than my ancestors. The idea of over-reaching kingship the Sartar way and the cities and roads etc are totally non-Viking (and totally non-Ancient Gaul as well), which is why many people wants them done away with.

Each to his own. If I want to play Gloranthan Celts, I go to Ralios. If I want to play Gloranthan Vikings, I go to Ygg's Isles. Probably because they have been worked on so long by so many diverse hands, the Sartar culture is pretty unique, and cannot readily be compared to any earthly culture.

Back to Humakt in later letters.

Martin Laurie:
> I hearby nominate David for the "Most Sporting Gentleman Award in Digest
> Posting" for his unheralded admission of mistake. In a digest full of gargantuan
> egos, David has placed himself apart with his courage. Bravo sir!
Applause! Encore! Bravo!

Some more awards:

Highest Nose in the Air 'Cause I'm a REAL Roleplayer Unlike You Scum Who Do Play Anything But Cottars And Thus Are Shallow and Immature Award.

Most Impressive Posturing As Being A Down-To-Earth Proletarian Powergamer, Who Is the Only One Who Doesn't Act Up And Pretend RPG's Are Somekinda Art Form, So I'm The Coolest Award.

Staunchest Defender Of Monomythic Dogma Award

Most Postmodernistic Monomyth Debunker Award

And some Awards your reall would like to win:

The Chalana Arroy Award: to the digester who does his or her best to find compromises and heal the rifts between peopl who take our conflicts to seriously.

The Trickster Award: to the digester who shakes the list about the most, thus inspiring new and funny ideas about Glorantha.

The Flesh Man Award: to the digester who best speaks up for the player of Gloranthan Games, as opposed to the many GM's and writers of the digest.

The Issaries Herald Award: to the digester who does the best work in spreading good ideas originating on the digest to those without access, whether through fanzines, on-line storing, or officially published material.

The Lhankor Sage Award: to the digester who helps newbies finding the great Gloranthan Lore which exists, without humiliating them (or, the digester with the best beard, in which case I dare nominate myself (-: ).

The Orlanth Lightbringer Award: to which David is now nominated, since it ought to be given to the digester who is able to see his own mistakes and do his best to remedy them.

And finally, of course, the Ginna Jar Award, which is already taken, since it must inevitable go to the Wyter of On-Line Gloranthaphiliac Greggites, whoever is the current Listkeeper. Bravo, Sharon!

"The Owl and the Pussycat went to sea, in a beautiful pea-green boat..."
>From "The Owl and the Pussycat" by Edward Lear

Erik Sieurin
bv9521_at_utb.hb.se
Bodagatan 39, 2 tr