My two cents on the Kitori

From: Jeff Richard <jrichard_at_cnw.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 21:36:34 -0800

Howdy all,

I thought I'd take a break from reading exciting law texts and make a few comments about the Kitori tribe.

>I've heard mention of the Kitori of Troll Wood in several places, but
>have only found a few lines here and there, so I have some questions
>about them.

Once upon a time, before I got roped into writing The Fall of the House of Malan and many other exciting things, Steve Martin asked me to write some Kitori material. Of course, I never got around to it but I have some half remembered material. Steve, if you'd like to correct my foggy memory it would be appreciated.

OK, first a few background comments, all IMO of course.

I believe that there have been two Kitori tribes since the Dawn. First was the human, darkness-worshipping tribe with Zolan Zubar as its war-god.  Although supporters of the OOO, this Kitori tribe was not IMO part troll.  This tribe ceased to exist either during Palangio's occupation of Kethaela or was destroyed by Uz and Heortlings during Arkat's "liberation" of Kethaela.

There was no Kitori tribe during the EWF (or Third Council, if you will)

After the Dragonkill, the tribes of Dragon Pass were disrupted beyond repair. Intact clans formed into new confederations and occupied the foothills of the Storm Mountains or the Marzeel river valley. However, there were many who did not have the strength or the power to force their way into these good lands. Repeating what their ancestors may have done long before Heort brought back the secrets of the Second Son and the hope of Orlanth's Lightbringer Quest, these folk sought succor in the Darkness.  With the trolls to be precise.

  1. Am I correct in assuming they are a mixed Troll-human culture?

Sort of. I don't accept the view that they are trollish men or that the Uz of the Troll Woods are manish trolls. Rather, I view the Kitori tribe as a Theyalan folk who have achieved a sort of partnership with the Uz (or may the Kitori tribe is Uz who have achieved a sort of partnership with a human clan). They certainly embrace Darkness.

2) What is the rough ratio of humans to trolls (majority, minority, about

   equal)?

I view it as being roughly equal - if you include enlo.

3) Are any of the Kitori half-trolls like the tusk riders?

Nope.

4) What deities do the Kitori worship, do the humans worship Kyger Litor?

I strongly doubt the humans worship Kyger Litor as their ancestral-goddess, although they might propriate her as a protective goddess or the patron-goddess of their uz partners. IMO, Argan Argar is the culture god of the Kitori and occupies the role of clan god. For those of you who are familiar with my Cults of Orlanth format, basically Argan Argar has replaced Orlanth as the clan protector for the human Kitori.

For the Uz, I think Kyger Litor is the Goddess, but Argan Argar is the predominant god, defining their relationship with their human partners.

Finally I think the Kitori propriate the Thunderer (AKA Orlanth), and some aspect of the Earth Goddess. They also probably have a host of interesting darkness spirits, land spirits and ancestors. Finally I doubt that they could avoid acknowledging some of the Heortling speciality cults.

5) In RQ terms, would the Kitori count as a barbarian or civilized culture?

   (put in RW terms are they a state-level society with writing or not?)

Barbarian tribal culture.

6) Are the human Kitori as nocturnal as trolls?

I strongly doubt it.

All my opinion of course.

Yours truly,

Jeff Richard