Succession of Fertility

From: Michael Raaterova <michael.raaterova.7033_at_student.uu.se>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 10:50:47 +0100

Erik:

>Regarding "Genert is dead, so everything is infertile unless magic is
>used to regain it", have you ever considered this would mean that
>Genertela ought to look like Prax?

All of Genertela would look like Prax if Genert's various daughters hadn't become Land Goddesses to protect the lands from barrenness.

Regarding the domestication of the wild lands to make them grow crops instead of weeds:

The Lady of the Wild is the disorderly daughter of Genert. Her wildernesses are fertile in their own way. In Far Point, and possibly among the Heortlings in general, Barntar did conquer and claim for his people a part of her domain. With his mother's magic he could 'domesticate' the land and make it grow the planted seeds.

The Lady was pissed off by the theft and has sworn to reclaim her lands, and that is why the weeds will invade the barley fields if the farmer isn't vigilant.

Jane williams asks
>So why are there so few plants (Aldrya) and animals (various deities) in
>Prax?

This question made me think. Why is there plants and animals at all in Prax? Because Genert isn't really dead, just sorely crippled, so he still retains a tiny modicum of his power. He lies waiting in the Growing Place until his wounds are healed, and then the Khan of Khans will return (since the PCs of my campaign will eventually resurrect him).

>>given that every male praxian is an
>>initiate of Waha (runes Death, Beast and Man), there doesn't seem to be
>>any decrease in their fertility.
>Let me clarify. I reckon that anyone who worships a deity who, in their
>society, is the main father/mother figure, gets their fertility from that
>deity. In Prax, Waha is the father/husband, so irrespective of his main
>runes, he gives potency.

Waha is Teacher and Leader. Eiritha and Stormbull are Mother/Wife and Father/Husband, from whom the fertility of the praxians issue forth.