Re: Kitori

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 97 20:16 MET

John R. Snead asked about the Kitori.

Peter Metcalfe replied
>[Kitori]

>>1) Am I correct in assuming they are a mixed Troll-human culture?

>Yes. They were partially described in the first edition of Trollpak
>(Temple of the Wooden Sword) - OOP unfortunately.

Do you mean 2nd Ed. RQ Trollpak? Where?

>>2) What is the rough ratio of humans to trolls (majority, minority, about
>> equal)?

>50:50 IMO.
Do you count in Trollkin, or not?

>>4) What deities do the Kitori worship, do the humans worship Kyger Litor?

>The humans worship Argan Argar.

And Kyger Litor, and Orlanth cum pantheon and Ernalda cum pantheon.

The Etori clan (formerly of Whitewall, and recently returned) (see RQ-Adventures #4 for basic info, email me for discussion about that) are Orlanthi with Darkness friendship.

>>5) In RQ terms, would the Kitori count as a barbarian or civilized culture?
>> (put in RW terms are they a state-level society with writing or not?)

>Barbarian Troll, Savage human.

Recently. The humans are a cut more "civilized" (barbarian culture) than the (current) Rathori, but once they ruled the entire Marzeel valley, including the cities of Whitewall, Smithstone, and Blackwell.

David Cake replied, too, and asked:

>>4) What deities do the Kitori worship, do the humans worship Kyger Litor?

> The main tribal deity is Argan Argar.
> This is mildly controversial, as every so often someone comes up
>with an outrageous theory about how the tribe is all about Orlanth being
>married to KL, and stealing someones sandals (and spells) is just another
>way of saying 'I love you'...
> .... but I am willing to argue for Argan Argar as their main deity
>for a very long time, and vaguely recall it being confirmed from Sandy
>many many digests ago.

They are in a somewhat awkward situation in that their cultural god would be a Dark Orlanth, or at least Orlanth Darkfriend. This seems to have a similar role as has Barntar in Heortland and Esrolia (as per RuneQuest Companion on Heortland:
"The people here are mostly farmers of Barntar's cult. They worship Orlanth as king of the gods, and Ernalda as his wife. Their culture is labelled Orlanthi, and follows the pattern of typical hill barbarians who worship the Lightbringers.")

IMO they practise some forest burn and slash agriculture since their defeat by the joined Elmali/Yelmalion and Volsaxi forces under Tarkalor.

> For example, who are the other major deities? I think Kygor Litor
>among the trolls, possibly Ernalda among the humans (the AA as Ernaldas
>husband thing from Esrolia?). But I think a generous amount of ancestor
>worship from both.

Definitely, IMO with KL wisewomen (shamans).

> And what are we to make of the figure of Voraz Kitor, who appears
>in the Broken Council? Quite possibly the tribal founder.

And hero cult. Associated with which deity's cult? ZZ, AA, or Orlanth?

> And just what is their territory?

Nowadays Troll Woods and parts of the Haunted Lands (between Shadow Plateau and Crossline) close to the Plateau.

>And do they worship Arkat at all?

IMO some do.