Genert, Roman Analogues, and Counting Tr

From: Lemens, Chris <CNU!AUSTIN3!lemens_at_cnucorp.attmail.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 08:43:00 +0000

GENERT Michael Raaterova (michael.raaterova.7033_at_student.uu.se ):

>Jane williams asks
>>So why are there so few plants (Aldrya) and animals (various deities) in
>>Prax?
>
>This question made me think. Why is there plants and animals at all
>in Prax? Because Genert isn't really dead, just sorely crippled, so he
>still retains a tiny modicum of his power. He lies waiting in the Growing
>Place until his wounds are healed, and then the Khan of Khans will
>return (since the PCs of my campaign will eventually resurrect him).

I love this plot line. Will you post stories? Recently someone noted on the Digest that the method of rendering Gods powerless was to ritually dismember them, since they were technically immortal. Surely that is what Wakboth did, since people still find piece of the dead god (and, if Issaries worshippers, have to try to reassemble him, as I recall?).

ROMAN ANALOGUES Many thanks to Martin Laurie for redirecting the Roman troops arguments back to Glorantha. There is a good military history book that I'll dig up tonight about the military strategies (not tactics) that the Romans followed in different phases of their hegemony. Perhaps the Lunars would use a couple of these. The earliest that the Romans used was to set up client kingdoms around them. Then they only had to control the client-king, who was responsible for ensuring that no barbarians got past him and into Roman territory. Note, however that the cost is that the almost-barbarians ruled by the client-king will do some casual raiding on Roman territory. This seems like it would have been a very good strategy for Lunar Tarsh, perhaps now abandoned. It also worked with the Numidians (superb light cavalry in norther Africa). So perhaps it would work with Pentians. (Would Char-Un be such a client-state? I can't recall.) Just find the right person and back him with money and occasional troops. Chop his head off when raids get too frequent.

Of course, this still doesn't prevent a Sheng/Atilla/Hannibal from punching right through to core territory. However, Lunies have a core reserve that the Romans did not: all those really nasty things living on the moon. I'm betting that the Red Emperor learned his lesson when Sheng did it to him the first time. Since then, he's been collecting every kind of nasty chaos critter he can find and has stashed them away on the dark side, just waiting for some poor sucker to penetrate deep into lunar territory.

Jose Ramos (Jose.Ramos_at_univ-angers.fr) notes that Macedonians also had superb lancer cavalry. If I recall correctly, they typically fought in wedge formation and took either the center of the field or some other position where it was tactically important to penetrate the opposing lines.  Somehow I get a Carmanian feel from this. Loren?

Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>

COUNTING TROLLKIN
>>>2) What is the rough ratio of humans to trolls (majority, minority, about

>>> equal)?

>>50:50 IMO.

>Do you count in Trollkin, or not?

Uzuz do. "One, munch. Two, gulp. Three, smack, smack. . . ."