shrines

From: Carlson, Pam <carlsonp_at_wdni.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 11:24:00 -0800

The Sanctify spell description I know is in the Magic Book of the boxed set of RuneQuest III, though I don't know if they sell it that way in Britain. I don't remember anything else notable about it, though I'll look it up this weekend and see.

>Didn't someone decree, after an experience wth a certain wooden sword,
that such portable temples were a Bad Thing?

It might depend on what sort of shrines your magical tradition was used to constructing. A war god, worshipped by mobile soldiers, might offer only a mobile version of the Sanctify spell, and a stationary version might require more study. The same goes for nomads. But farmers and other sedentary folk might not know how to sanctify an object rather than a location.

Or, perhaps a location almost always yields a more powerful shrine or temple. Therefore, nomads might have mobile icons _and_ sacred sites they make pilgrimages to. There are no rules for this. It's all up to how you want to set up your world.

A holy item might double the power of a shrine, or it might be a requirement in the first place.
(When Theya Two Mothers established a shrine to Kero Fin, in honor of the Goddess' promise that the Varmandi would survive in Quivini lands, even if at a terrible cost, she used the bodies of all the women and children who had died that year to establish the shrine. Thus, it is actually more of an ancester/sovereignity shrine.)

Now, Heorl had twin daughters, one of whom died that winter despite Theya's best efforts to save her. Therefore, Theya deduced that the Goddess had called the child, so that her living twin might have a counterpart in the spirit world. Therefore, when the surviving twin grows up to be a gyda or priestess, that shrine where her twin is buried will be a big source of her magic.

Pam