Orendanae

From: Jeff Richard <jrichard_at_cnw.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 17:45:26 -0800

Earlier today Jane wrote:

>A while back, Jeff Richard mentioned the Orendanae as a group of sacred
>women warriors. I've been trying to find out about them since, but have
>only found one mention in KoS: at the time of the first FHQ (and Sartar):
>"This was a great time for the Earth Tribe.... in Sartar the Orendanae sat
>upon the tribal rings of the three main tribes".
>Jeff seems to have them as mainly but not exclusively Babeester Gor
>initates, who don't seem like the sort of people you'd have on a tribal
>ring by choice. Anyone want to tell me more about them?

The Orendanae in ToDP are not mainly and certainly not exclusively Babeester Gor worshippers. As I think I've said before, in ToDP there are 10 or 11 initiates of BG in all of Quiviniland. The Orendanae are an Ernaldan subcult that worships Ernalda as the Great Goddess and believes that BG, V, MG, E, A, and TKT are all simply aspects of the Great Goddess.  In my campaign they are an "Esrolian" cult and were initially led by Hareva the Priestess (wife of Chief Colymar). The sacred fields near Clearwine support the Orendanae.

The Orendanae subcult dominates the Colymar tribal Ernalda cult. I believe all of the Colymar tribal priestesses in the 1350s are initiated into the Orendanae mysteries as are a fair number of clan gyda (including Theya Two-Mothers). They are NOT a sisterhood of warrior women - the presence of the less-than-a-dozen BG initiates is to defend the Orendanae priestesses and are mightily distrusted by the tribal retainers of the Colymar kings.

The sacred fields provide sufficient wealth that the Orendanae can support a fair number of priestesses. The Orendanae are the main proponents of the Sacred King rites amongst the Colymar. They claim that the king must ritually marry the land goddess (ie. a chosen priestess) and must defend his claim from other rivals every seven years.

During the reign of King Kagradus, the Orendanae dominated Colymar internal politics. One of the ongoing themes in the campaign is the conflict between the priestesses of the Orendanae and the Storm Voices of Orlanth, both who claim the right to chose kings.

Yours truly,

Jeff