cults, Kitori, etc.

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cyllene.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 12:54:40 +0800

>>For those of you who are
>>familiar with my Cults of Orlanth format, basically Argan Argar has
>>replaced Orlanth as the clan protector for the human Kitori.
>
> I disagree because Argan Argar is god of reaching out and communicating.
> The protector god would, IMO, be a duty left for those intimately connected
>with the frabic of society (i.e. Orlanth).

        I think you underestimate the Argan Argar cult. While in your average troll strongland it is primarily a trade and friendship with outlanders cult, that is by no means its totality.

        In Esrolia, for a start, it was the god of the Only Old One, and thus the god of the rulers. He is the troll god of the spear, which might not be the weapon of choice for most trolls, but nonetheless marks him as a warrior god - and one of some importance if you are punier than the average troll (say, a human). And in Esrolia, he is counted among the husband-protectors of Ernalda - which means that he is acknowledged as being a similar god to Orlanth, Yelmalio, etc. and a god quite capable of fulfilling the role of Ernaldas consort.

Jeff Richard on the Kitori
>In my opinion the primary men's cults for Kitori are Argan Argar (in a
>leadership/ tribal patron role), Voraz Kitor (who shares the cultural hero
>role with AA) and the Thunderer (Orlanth). At least during the 1350s
>(which is usually my POV for Glorantha), I think that there is also Barntar
>worship (although maybe that is through Voraz Kitor) since I don't view the
>Kitori as wild hunting savages.

        I think that to the Kitori, Orlanth is worshipped primarily as an agricultural god. So the Thunderer and Barntar might not be worshipped separately. The Thunderer is primarily a god who is worshipped to bring rain and fertility - who also happens to be the chief god according to the unruly neighbouring tribes. I think Voraz Kitor is probably now only called Kitor, and is remembered as an Argan Argar hero (which is not actually correct, but he has a thousand years ago).

Jeff Richard has a lot of ideas about how the rest of the Lightbringers are virtually absent except as minor subcults in his 1350 campaign, and he also mentions
>Now this changes with Sartar, who definitely introduces the Grey Sages to
>his Principality.

        And we know that Sartar was an Issaries hero - perhaps Sartar introduces the full Lightbringer cult circle into Sartar (probably from Heortland) so that his own Issaries magics are fully recognised, and he is thought of as a great ally of Orlanths rather than a follower of a strange god?

>I like the
>idea of something akin to shamanistic Kyger Litor worship being practiced
>amongst the Kitori "wise women" - although I do not think the Kitori women
>hold KL to be their ancestor.

        Perhaps not KL worship, but a combination of Ancestor worship and darkness spirit worship, that probably looks similar to KL worship to an outsider. I think the Kitori are in contact with the local hags, Dejori, etc.

>I certainly think Ernalda is worshipped
>(although somewhat differently from the way the Heortlings worship her) and
>there must be numerous land and darkness spirits in the Troll Woods and the
>foothills of the Storm Mountains.

        I think the Kitori think of Ernalda not just as a goddess of the fields, but also of the forests. Of wild as well as domesticated animals. I agree that there are lots of land and darkness spirits - I've written up a few before, I'll try and dig 'em out.

        Sigolf Cloudcrusher - can I just say I like very much Jose's conception that Sigolf is a god of hail, rather than of literal rocks that drop from the sky. It makes more mythical sense - I also think that it makes it clearer how a spell might work in a way that is balanced. I think the earlier version of the cult spell was a bit overpowered - something more like an AD&D Ice Storm sounds good.

        Cheers

                David

End of Glorantha Digest V4 #279

WWW at http://rider.wharton.upenn.edu/~loren/Rolegame/glorantha.faq.html