Orlanth/Eurmal

From: SinMissing_at_aol.com
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 18:41:01 -0500 (EST)

  I must certainly add my agreement to the go on the Lightbringers being worshipped as subcults/mysteries to the Orlanth cult. That everyone who survives initiation becomes an Orlanth/Ernalda cult is the sort of thing that endears me to a situational/p.o.v. game. Excelsior! I have but one question.

  In Wyrms footprints, Eurmal's mystery cult within Orlanth's is that of the court stooge. Where do the Orlanth cultists go when they need guidance that is, shall we say, outside the norm of Orlanthi society? --those who seek vengence, or are deranged, insane, but otherwise competent for example?  Eurmal, being the trickster, is Orlanth's shadow-self right? I mean, within the bounds of Orlanthi culture, is there room for those not within the norm?  Orlanth is quite a complex character, and his shadow-self should be as well.

  I have this character in mind, her husband is killed by some other clan and weregeld is paid in retribution. But she doesn't want it. I know she doesn't have to accept it but what she really wants is to kill the offending clan entirely. --to exact revenge to the highest power, and not just through challenge and personal combat, but by every subterfuge she can muster. No amount of wealth will replace her life, and so she wants those responsible to get the same treatment. Now without hiding her motives behind the facade of a malign earth power, or by embracing chaotic forces, who does she get spiritual guidance from. I mean, she's not looking for training and an excuse to wipe out her enemies, this is her personal conflict. Does anyone have any suggestions? Does anyone play with Orlanth/Eurmal being the sort of dark cultural/ anti-hero?