Corrida

From: Jose Ramos <Jose.Ramos_at_univ-angers.fr>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 12:19:35 +0000

        David Dunham wants to have bullfights in Safelster. As you wish, but not in Kustria!

        I had not wished to include bullfighting in Safelster (spanish self-consciousness?), but I am sure most cities have blood sports. Due to church interference (all that love thing) they are mostly limited to animals (dogs vs bulls, dog vs dog, dog vs bear, bear vs bull, ...) in rokari lands, to knight trials (knight on a horse vs bull, knight on foot vs anything) in some henotheist lands (maybe part of the caste change tests) and of course, the most cultic you become, the mythical reasons increase: In Galin you may have horsemounted bullfighting, commemorating the dominance of the bemuri by the galanini. And in Otkorion tests of strength, where a team (or a lone man!) has to immobilize a bull (ancestor) without harming it. Having something done in the neighbouring country is a sure way not to do it in this country.

        In Kustria, IMG, the Arena is reserved to human beings, as the only ones worthy of honour and respect. To use animals is to soil the memory of all those who have died there. Who wants to die as a bull? No kustrian, certainly.

        Of course what those fellows of Estal do in Spring, hunting the Old husband (a stag?) of the Green Lady, and killing it messily is just heresy, as the Helby tradition that at least one man must die in the animal fights or the hunting will suffer. The more deaths, the more hunting.

All IMO, as always. And it is good there are amost no OOP things about Ralios (somebody knows what is the status of the Arkat saga? I had some Brithini Art of War gregged, but I have heard nothing since).

Jose