Orlanth/Eurmal

From: Jeff Richard <jrichard_at_cnw.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 22:02:00 -0800

Arthur Reyes wrote:

> I must certainly add my agreement to the go on the Lightbringers being
>worshipped as subcults/mysteries to the Orlanth cult. That everyone who
>survives initiation becomes an Orlanth/Ernalda cult is the sort of thing
that
>endears me to a situational/p.o.v. game.

Look out Reaching Moon - the Orlanth/Ernalda cult is ready to assimilate you all! [Much demonic laughter follows]

>In Wyrms footprints, Eurmal's mystery cult within Orlanth's is that of the
>court stooge. Where do the Orlanth cultists go when they need guidance
that
>is, shall we say, outside the norm of Orlanthi society? --those who seek
>vengence, or are deranged, insane, but otherwise competent for example?

Well that's the role of cults that "the bulk of Orlanthi society considers their initiates to be eccentric, strange, exotic or dangerous." KOS p. 246.  Seeking vengeance could be Humakt, Babeester Gor, etc. Deranged or insanity is definitely Eurmal - although I think that Eurmal-status is more important as a scape-goat.

> I have this character in mind, her husband is killed by some other clan
and
>weregeld is paid in retribution. But she doesn't want it. I know she
>doesn't have to accept it but what she really wants is to kill the
offending
>clan entirely. --to exact revenge to the highest power, and not just
through
>challenge and personal combat, but by every subterfuge she can muster.

Is she a Vingan - if not, then she should look to the Ernaldan "dark path" - - Maran Gor. Claiming the role of Eurmal is a rather dangerous route - just ask poor Horselegs of the Varmandi who accepted the role of scapegoat in the Summons of Evil, only to be outlawed and nearly killed by Maniski Varmandson.

Jeff