more Kitori

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cyllene.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 1997 15:03:06 +0800

>>AA is mentioned as a husband/protector of Ernalda
>
> Orlanth would certainly have something to say about that! You can say a
>husband is a protector but, it is not always true that a protector is a
>husband. - I'm sure that he would have been exceedingly grateful to AA for
>protecting his wife while in the underworld on the Lightbringer Quest.

        But just because Argan Argar isn't the true husband protector in an Orlanthi household, doesn't prove anything in an AA household. To the Argan Argar household, Orlanth was off questing, talking to Yelm and whatever - but while the other gods where off sorting out the mess they had made, AA was the one actually keeping folk alive in the darkness. And to the AA household, Ernalda is AAs wife, and Orlanth merely another one of her lovers - and AA is the one that protected her in her time of greatest need.

        And to an Ernaldan household (ie an Esrolian matriarchal one), well, any of those silly little husbands that think they have any right to tell her how to organise her household can think again.

>My only intention in defining Kitori
>religion was to define inter-tribal relations between humans and trolls on a
>more equal ground.

        I like the choice of Argan Argar as the main cult because it is a cult acceptable to both the humans and the trolls, that discriminates for or against neither - and thus a cult where they can meet equally. Remember, we are talking about the Esrolian Argan Argar cult here, which was worshipped by many humans at one point. Thus I prefer Argan Argar to either Kygor Litor or Orlanth (who has myths of troll hostility) or any other deity I can think of, as one equally acceptable to humans and trolls. Sure, not to your average Orlanthi, but I also don't want the Kitori to be your average Orlanthi either.

        Cheers

                David