Pantheon Initiation; Carmanian lingo

From: Lemens, Chris <CNU!AUSTIN3!lemens_at_cnucorp.attmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 1997 09:06:00 +0000

Pantheon Initiation:

I seem to recall from my economic history classes that, up until say 1600 (RW) or so, upwards of 95% (and usually more like 99%) of humanity were scratch-the-earth peasant types of varying degrees of sophistication. The other 1-5% were composed of people like city folks, merchants, landowners, and, last and least, priestly types. Can anyone confirm this from a reliable source?

The Gloranthan content is that many of the estimates of how many people could be devoted to religion seem high to me. The number above mean that something less than one in a hundred could be a full time worshipper. Thus, I like Jeff Richard's "amateur" approach of
>Farmer/herder + lawspeaker, Farmer/herder + warrior,
>Farmer/herder + crafter, Farmer/herder + leader
Recall that, in feudal times, wars happened much more frequently during the times that local lords were not busy overseeing their estates.

Loren's Carmanian lingo:

Hmm. Let's assume that Carmanian and Jrusteli had the same (Brithini) linguistic roots. "El" means aether. According to Loren, "Mal" means lord.  So "El" + "Mal" means light lord, which would also be a translation of Yu+El as in Y(u-)elm. Obviously the God Learners have been at work.

The question then is what to think about Eur-Mal. I think ur- is the beginning for iron, so perhaps Eur-Mal means "mighty lord" in Jrusteli.  Obviously, the Trickster has been at work, in Jrustela!