Eurmal initiation: involuntary Eurmalasia

From: Owen Jones <oj_at_maths.anu.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 09:45:35 +1100 (EST)

Following the recent discussion on Eurmal's identification with madmen, scapegoats etc., it occurred to me that it might be possible to be initiated into the mysteries of Eurmal either unwillingly or possibly unknowingly.

Imagine a clan chief who has been putting up with a pain-in-the-but smartass for just too long. When he finally goes too far, our clan chief and a few associates strap him down, and mark him spiritually as one of Eurmal's. This _is_ a punishment, because of the stigma attached, and now those with the POW to see it recognise the chap is marked by Eurmal. It might also serve to help our Eurmalite recognise himself.

Alternatively, a character toying with insanity might find himself drifting into the spirit/hero plane unkowingly. Eurmal's role as a guide to Orlanth when he was lost in the underworld might manifest itself in this situation, as a guide back to the mundane and sanity. However, the close contact with Eurmal gained in the process serves as an initiation.

Owen Jones
Centre for Maths and its Applications, School of Math. Sciences Australian National University, ACT 0200 Ph +61 6 249 2897 (office) 249 4552 (direct) Fax +61 6 249 5549 Web page http://wwwmaths.anu.edu.au/~oj/