brainy animals

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 11:16:03 +1200

James Frusetta:

>** WHERE DO BRAINY BUNNIES COME FROM?
From their brainy mummies tummies, of course!

>Were all animal species sentient before Genert croaked it, and the
>remaining smart animals are just the remnants that are left? If so, why
>aren't animals in Pamaltea sentient? Maybe it wasn't Genert, but, oh,
>"more magic" in the air during the Gods Time?

I don't believe animal species were any more sentient then they are now. The 'more magic in the air' argument would mean that in Ye Good Olde Days, we would have more magical animals like the Silver Fox, the Scarlet Bat, the Half Bird, Gouger rather than intelligent bunnies.

The intelligence of the Giant Tarantulas of Skyfall lake appear to derive more from the Gigantism of the spiders rather than residual intelligence left over from the Good Old days. From other examples of Giant Animals (the Catfish Priest and the Giant Otter in RoC, the Spokesfish for the Zola Fel in Ye Olde OOP Big Rubble adventure etc) appears to suggest that intelligent animals are extremely big compared to normal specimens. The only counterpoint that I'm aware of are the morokanth, but they cheated Waha for their intelligence. The Baboons are similarly larger than RW Babs (Ye Gods! Baboonester Gor?!? No, I must concentrate!) but since Baboons are partially intelligent they don't need to be as huge.