Wise wabbits

From: James Frusetta <gerakkag_at_wam.umd.edu>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 00:01:52 -0500 (EST)

Pam Carlson said:

> versa. Unless the bright bunny parents know a ritual to attract brainy
> bunny spirits to their babies. This is getting too wierd.
Hmmm. That'd work -- the problem I saw with randomness is when the Zola Fel fishies are turning over their unintelligent fellows to fisherman (quislings!), they might run the risk of turning over very young intelligent fish if it's a random generation process. A ritual would work nicely ("Summon Brainy Bunny Spirit.") I'd thought of adoption, but I'm not sure it'd work well enough, and the original parents might fight it.

> Perhaps a patron deity of an ecosystem, like Zola Fel or Kero Fin, can
> impart some more divity to lesser spirits - so the Zola Fel has more
Aha! That makes a lot of sense, thanks. And areas without them are generally bereft of sentient critters, natch.

> (Bright bunny:"Hey Guys! I just made a great deal! If we choose on of
> us a week to sacrifice to the Hunter in the Valley, he'll not kill us
> any other time, AND he'll kill all the foxes! It's a great deal for
> all of us!"

Hmmm. I'd thought of it in a more, um, insidous way myself, and one with less communal fellowship. Bright bunny hops around as Secret Agent Super Bunny, gathering info on all the forest critters and reporting it back to the Hunter via mindlink. ("Agent SASB to H: deer behind the dead oak on top of the hill.") Or perhaps as the "judas goat" in rabbit farms. ("Hey... Brainy Bunny doesn't think the slaughterhouse is a bad thing... let's all go in!") In return, Brainy Bunny gets whatever a bunny would want. Um... carrots?

Clearly, there are more useful animals than bunnies, but I suppose this makes it more challenging.

***
Note, of course, Brainy Bunny makes the ultimate secret agent during the Lunar Occupation of Sartar. Brave Brainy Bunny joins Orlanth; sacrifices for a couple Lightnings; then hops into the Lunar camp, and fries the commander. The mystery of why the Sartar House of Assassins' produce bill is so high is now solved...

***
And potentially a MGF villain, too. "No one suspected Brainy Bunny of the horrible murders that had swept the sleepy little town. For no one knew his true identity: Bunnicula, Vivamort priest..."

***
> Just because the Godlearners call all birds fire
> critters means little, because they don't all automatically have a tie
> to all things bright and fiery. There are crows, owls, seabirds,
> flightless birds, etc.

No, no, the flightless birds are still in the fire panthoen, but related to Yelmalio. Fireless god = flightless bird. (Nasty trollish laughter).

Seriously, it seems roughly plausible enough that Gloranthans might use it to separate genus (right word? my high school biology was long ago) from genus, though. The _origin_ of an animal can be different from its present position/relation to a pantheon.

Hmmm. For example:
> As for invertebrate critters, I don't thinkthey're all darkness related.
> There are bees & butterlies (assoc w/ flowers & sunlight),
Bees & Butterflies are the offspring of Gorakiki; they _originated_ in Darkness, but may have forged new links later. (Butterflies, IMO, have mostly lost their Darkness link, but are still descended from Gorakiki). Moths picked up a (blue) moon connection. Lightning bugs might have a fire connection. I suspect there are myths which explain this: either when a critter severed its old association, or gained new powers (ala Zorak Zoran). Some might be crossbreeds, too.

What the Godlearner theory is useful for is roughly sorting out which species moved where -- if worms were all darkness critters under Swems, then annelid worms _used_ to be darkness. So where's the myth for the same? (And, if you're a GLer, how can you manipulate it?)

The real problems are the confusing cases like dolphins, who would be storm (mammals), but have darkness characteristics (sonar), and live in water! Or bats (storm? darkness? fire ('coz they fly)? lunar?).

> wrath of Tarantulor.

You know, I've gotta dig out my MST3K tape of Earth vs. the Spider. Gotta be a Tarantulor adventure in there, somewhere... what could be better than a gala RPGfest of spiders eating stupid Orlanthi teenagers? ("Don't worry, Tarantulor's dead! Let's have the sock hop in Dakori Inkarth!")

James Frusetta