The Widow's Vengeance

From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 00:16:20 GMT

<SinMissing_at_aol.com> said:

> I have this character in mind, her husband is killed by some other clan and
> weregeld is paid in retribution. But she doesn't want it. I know she
> doesn't have to accept it but what she really wants is to kill the offending
> clan entirely. --to exact revenge to the highest power, and not just through
> challenge and personal combat, but by every subterfuge she can muster. No
> amount of wealth will replace her life, and so she wants those responsible to
> get the same treatment. Now without hiding her motives behind the facade of
> a malign earth power, or by embracing chaotic forces, who does she get
> spiritual guidance from. I mean, she's not looking for training and an
> excuse to wipe out her enemies, this is her personal conflict. Does anyone
> have any suggestions? Does anyone play with Orlanth/Eurmal being the sort of
> dark cultural/ anti-hero?
>
> - - --Arthur Reyes

I would say it depends on the kind of destruction she wants to wreak on them.

If she wants to trick, humiliate and break them then she would turn to Eurmal.

If she wants to kill them herself then she turns to Vinga.

If she wants them killed then she might be able to persuade Babs Gor that she has been wronged in a way that requires her followers take revenge.

I think she would probably turn to Vinga and seek the aid of an Eurmali, taking him under her personal protection and daring anyone to say that her vengeance is wrong. But the problem with that route is that it takes years to get that good. If she is patient she can wreak a classic revenge. But not quickly or easily.

Actor And Genius
AKA Theophilus Prince Archbishop Of The Far Isles Medieval Society Arms Purpure An Open Book Proper: On the Dexter Page an Alpha Or On the Sinister an Omega Or. Motto Nulla Spes Sit in Resistendo (Resistance is Useless). Ask me about the Far Isles: Better Living through Pan-Medieval Anachronisms.