farmers and peasants

From: Jeff Richard <jrichard_at_cnw.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 13:07:47 -0800

Peter posted a socio-economic breakdown of Hellenistic demography and David Weihe aptly commented:

>The problem with these direct comparisons is that they take their numbers
>from the places that keep good records. Among the "civilized" societies
like
>the Malkioni and Pelorians these numbers may be accurate. They are
obviously
>wrong for the Hsunchen societies, where no one scratches the earth except
>to gather nuts and roots. And I expect that they are also wrong among the
>RW Vikings or the less civilized Orlanthi (unless anyone who plows a
furrow
>is classed as a peasant, rather than the normal definition of slave,
thrall,
>serf, or sharecropper).

        Amongst the Orlanthi, being a head of a farming bloodline is a position of considerable respect - indeed one is customarily entitled to the respectful title "thane" even if one isn't a formal tribal thane. Being a steadholder (or carl) is also a position of respect. On the other hand, being a landless and unsworn sell-sword (ie. one who is not fed at the table of a chief or king) is NOT a position of respect.

        In Taming of Dragon Pass, the carls are the predominant political force.  Sure, the priests and the weapons-thanes are nice to have on your side and there certainly is better fare at the table of a chief or tribal king, but the carls are the backbone and much of the muscle in these agrarian communities. Having a stead and livestock of your own is the basic mark of respectability. Amongst the Heortlings, being a farmer is certainly not something to be sneered at.

        In 1356, out of a total population of 350, the Varmandi have 36 hides under cultivation and keep some 250 cows. Everyone except the Elders are involved in the business of farming and/or herding, even chief Varmand's huscarls and Heorl the Lawspeaker! To find folk who aren't farmer/herders you have to go to one of the tribal centers like Clearwine, Two-Ridge, or Runegate.

        On the other hand, in Pam Carlson's Alkoth campaign, our aristocratic Dara Happans think that all farmers are Weeders, serfs or slaves. Our characters certainly have no respect for any dirty Lodrilli peasant. In that campaign Peter's analysis certainly would stand up to review.

Jeff