Scratching the Earth

From: Arnold Andersson <arnold_at_otto.mpimf-heidelberg.mpg.de>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 14:41:03 +0100 (MET)

Hi folks,

Chris Lemens:
> My thinking though is that RW figures may understate the
>number of people who can be devoted to religion full time.
>Take the example of a Chalana Arroy priestess. In economic
>terms, she can socially justify herself by the increased
>productivity of the clan she lives with due to fewer productive
>clan members dying or being disabled by illness and injury.
>(Think about it. Suppose she saves ten people a years from
>becoming too disabled (or dead) to work. Would a clan chief
>be willing to pay her room and board?
> And can Chalana Arroy priestesses heal sick cows? I dunno.
>Sure would be useful.)

Well, by using Xenohealing that should be possible (curring the infected udder or foot-and-mouth disease etc.) and since livestock is such an important resource in many parts of Glorantha, this would be a fare share of an CA priestess work (since they have the capacity to feel pity with ALMOST anything).

As for the clan chief, he would be more then willing to feed another person, if that person would be able to get all the sick and injured into full working condition again. And also allow the option for the chief to take on some more risky work for the clan, now that he has healing backup from a CA priestess ("It's about time we cleared out that landslide with boulders at Argents pasture, now that Hilda the healer is with us."). Besides, the CA would only require vegetarian food, so she/he would probably not be as expensive as all the other "meat-eaters" of the clan. All this of course IMHO.

All Hail the patched up Moon!

/Arnold