How many healers?

From: Mark Sabalauskas <marks_at_max.tiac.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 19:58:59 -0501 (EST)

>The question is not whether it will be beneficial but whether he has
>the surplus to pay for full-time healer (let alone a Priestess!). At
>a clan level, the chief is going to have to kick some people out of
>his household (an aged parent perhaps?). It would be more economical
>for a farmer to practice the healing arts part-time (Ye Olde Wise
>Women) at the clan level.

        This seems to beg the question as to what the actual surplus is. Our knowledge of Gloranthan agriculture and economics seem limited enough for anyone to quite easily justify almost any level of companion lightbringer worship they'd want in their Glorantha.

        Of course it's an open question as to if this will be the case after (if?) the new Gloranthan rpg is published. Some people seem to like playing in a Glorantha where a player's lifelong ambition is to become an acolyte of Ernalda. Other people aren't going to be satisfied unless the rpg contains some version of the long awaited heroquest rules. It's hard to see how any one set of rules can to justice to both the "gritty realistic" and "heroic fantasy" styles of play.

                        Mark