heroic realism and vingkotling gods

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 11:22:05 +1200

Mark Sabalauskas:

Me>>The question is not whether it will be beneficial but whether [the
>>clan chief] has the [agricultural] surplus to pay for full-time healer
>>(let alone a Priestess!).

> This seems to beg the question as to what the actual
>surplus is. Our knowledge of Gloranthan agriculture and
>economics seem limited enough for anyone to quite easily
>justify almost any level of companion lightbringer worship
>they'd want in their Glorantha.

In practice, the habit seems to be to take the values for RW Bronze Age/Iron Age figures and adapt them. Having too high a grain surplus could easily lead to absurdities like having a fully armed Humakti Sword in every clan which begs the question of how the Lunars managed to capture Sartar in the first place.

>It's hard to see how any one set of rules can to justice to
>both the "gritty realistic" and "heroic fantasy" styles of play.

I don't see why heroic fantasy should be incompatible with gritty realism unless you are thinking of high fantasy? The Cradle adventure is heroic yet gritty.

Jeff Richard:

>It is entirely
>possible that during the Darkness, the Winter Tribes of the Vingkotlings
>actually worshipped Elemalus - guardian of the flickering embers and last
>light (sound familiar?).

What did the Summer Tribes worship?

>Orlanatus, Erlandus, Walindum, Umatum, Rebellus
>Terminus, Lanatum and the Thunderer were all Dara Happan names for the host
>of Vingkotling storm and war gods.

To be picky, Walindum is specifically associated with the Glacier to the north. Hence I think the Vingkotlings would have revered Inora (who is to be found at the Hills of Gold) rather than Valind. Umatum is originally a Dara Happan equivalent of Vogmaradan (Biggus Dickus) and it is only later that he is thought of as one of the uncouth Orlanthi Storm Gods - contact with Humath also helped. Rebellus Terminus appears to be Dobrudon the Thuder God of Darsen who comes from the Northeast rather than the Vingkotlings.

Finally, you have left out the big one, Kolat/Wingkolad/Vinakotal/ Vingkot IMO. In the myth of Murharzarm's murder, Plentonius cites Vinakotal the Barbarian as one of the Rebel Gods. This is reinforced when Shargash is said to have halted the raids of Elemalus, King of the Vingkotlings.